AmeriPsych kids

Have you thought about becoming a foster parent?
Print this page Text size +

Frequently Asked Questions

Become A Foster Parent:

Do I have to provide medical and dental coverage for foster children?
No, it is provided by the state.

Will I be compensated for care?
Yes, you will receive a monthly reimbursement and that amount varies by the age of the child.

Can I foster if I work full time?
Yes. You are responsible to meet the child's needs and fulfill your obligations as a foster parent.

Do I have to pay for daycare?
There is financial aid available.

Do I have to meet certain income levels?
No, but you must be able to provide for your immediate family.

Can I specify the needs I can best care for?
Yes, we will only place children in your home with needs you are comfortable with.

Do you provide training?
Yes, AmeriPsych will provide you with the 10 week PS-MAPP course. In addition, you will receive on-going supportive services from our qualified staff.

Can my children share a room with foster children?
Yes, although there are age requirements for mixing genders.

What are the qualifications?
Foster families must be approved by the State of Arizona Office of Licensing, Certification and Regulation (OLCR). They must also:

  • Be 21 years of age or older
  • Pass a criminal background records check and child/adult abuse check
  • Provide a medical statement of good general health of all household members over age 18
  • Offer a safe living environment with adequate space for a new child
  • Attend specialized pre-service training as preparation for foster parenting
AmeriPsych is here to guide you through the licensing process.  

Family Services:

Does AmeriPsych offer parenting skills training?
AmeriPsych can provide you with one-on-one interactive training of our Parenting Resource Education Program (PREP). PREP is designed to teach and enhance parenting skills, as well as life management skills.  The program can take up to 16 weeks to complete, and participants will pay an hourly fee for each session. Upon completion of the 16 topics, participants will receive a certificate of completion.

What is needed to hire AmeriPsych for supervised visitation between me and my child?
You must have the permission of the custodial parent. If the custodial parent will not allow supervised visitation, sometimes court orders can be put in place requiring the child(ren) to be available for supervised visitation.  Visit participants must complete the intake process, which takes approximately one hour, and pay an hourly fee for visitation services.  

Who will be supervising my visits?
All Parent Aides conducting supervised visitation have a bachelor's degree or numerous years of experience with families and children.  All are CPR & First Aid certified and have had numerous background checks, including a Fingerprint Clearance card. Parent Aides will present the visiting parent with unbiased, fair documentation of the visitation, as well as offer parenting advice as requested.

Counseling Services:

Do you offer a sliding fee scale for counseling?
We offer low cost counseling services that are offered at reasonable rates.

When can I start getting counseling?
All of our therapists are available within seven days of your call to schedule your initial appointment.  They will then conduct an intake appointment with you to determine what services are best to meet your needs.


© Copyright 2009 ResCare, Inc.